Yoshie Furuhashi (Quote Kvetching)

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Sun Dec 24 12:57:49 PST 2000

Two things on list protocol, Justin.

When you change a quote, never leave what the other person actually said appended below. People will read it and catch on.

I said: "My beef is with your implication that you've given any reason why marxism is less useful. You haven't" You turned that into "You misunderstand my point. I am not saying that 'Marxism is useless'", and had the effrontery to put it quotes as if you were quoting me. OK, lacking anything worth saying on my more nuanced point, you needed a strawman to whack, but don't you think you should be more, um, circumspect. As opposed, that is, to stopping the distortions in the first place, which, of course, is the best approach.

Second, when you have nothing further to say, or want to break off for some other reason, try to avoid covering your frustration/ego by gratuitously insulting the other person. And on that point, you shouldn't flatter yourself that I would waste my time trying to show that my intellect is superior to yours.

RO