(p)opulism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 25 19:18:43 PST 2000

martin schiller wrote:

>Justin Schwartz said on 12/25/00 11:41 A
>
>>Nathan, do you know what's what here? Is the triumph of ideology over
>>interest? Or maybe the difference is small enough that reactionary
>>ideologies trump any marginal differences in the way the parties would
>>promote the interests of small farmers. 100 years ago, small farmers were
>>Progressive or Populist, leftish in a petit bourgeois sort of way. What
>>happened? These are hard questions. --jks
>
>I'll repeat the suggestion that I made to Doug earlier that there are
>farmer's markets taking place in most areas. Visiting one, and making a
>small purchase, might provide you with access to "the horses *mouth*".

Farmers who personally sell at farmer's markets don't represent what U.S. agriculture is all about. It's about big farms & very big companies.

When since the death of populism have farmers been a font of political wisdom? As a class, not as plucky invidiuals, like the guy who beat Al "Grandpa" Lewis in the NYS Senate Green primary, or the ones at farmers markets.

Doug