(p)opulism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 26 18:00:55 PST 2000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Anyone remember or see Bertolucci's, `Italia', with de Niro and
> Depardeau? It's about the lifelong relationship between a land
> owner's son and his tenet forman's son and their struggle with each
> other over the land they both depend on. During the Thirties, the
> owner's family become fascists and the forman's become communists.

I think you mean _1900_, no? I think that's the only film I've ever seen where I honestly felt the cinematography was enough by itself to make the film great even though the dialogue (as rendered into English) was completely wooden. Which is some feat considering it's an historical film and four hours long. Although I hear that in the original 5 hour version, things flow more smoothly.

Michael