No subject

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Dec 28 10:08:47 PST 2000

WILLIAM BENNETT FOUNDS ONLINE K12 SCHOOL Former Education Secretary William Bennett is founding an online private K-12 school that will offer the kind of traditional schooling long espoused by Bennett, including phonics, back-to-basics math and civics lessons. The for-profit venture, dubbed K12, is backed by a $10-million investment from Knowledge Universe Learning Group, a subsidiary of Knowledge Universe, which was founded in 1996 by Michael Milken, his brother Lowell, and Oracle founder Larry Ellison. The school, which hopes to attract 100,000 students by 2005, expects to tap into the estimated 1.5-million home-schooler market for its initial enrollment. "This is a hugely ambitious project," says Bennett. "We're doing the whole thing. Every lesson, every day, for 13 years." Merrill Lynch estimates that the electronic learning market for K-12 will grow from $1.3 billion in 1999 to $6.9 billion in 2003. (Wall Street Journal 28 Dec 2000)

maybe we can just hope that we can sell them all real estate, say wyoming, utah, idaho --whatever. just some chunk of midwestern or western US. they can all move there and create their own little randian universe and then we can have fun watching as they are forced to listen to the great sucking sound of their idiotic grand experiment in retreat from public life being flushed down the toilet bowl of history.

http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB977957224598014041....