Fwd: Amazon Steps Up Anti-Union Campaign

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 29 08:19:06 PST 2000

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:41:14 -0800 (PST) From: WashTech <washtech at speakeasy.net>

12/28/00

AMAZON MANAGEMENT STEPS UP ANTI-UNION CAMPAIGN Company Launches Internal Web site to Combat Unionization

Amazon.com management has stepped up its 1930s-style anti-union campaign just in time for the New Year. The company has created a new internal Web site it claims is dedicated to answering questions by customer service representatives about unions and collective bargaining.

But many Amazon workers say the site is yet another offensive against the unionization effort, one that tries to mislead workers by not providing all the facts regarding the law, organizing, unions and collective bargaining.

The Web site poses questions such as "How long can a union use an employee's signed authorization card?" and "If employees are dissatisfied with an elected union, what can they do?" The thinly veiled anti-union theme of the FAQ, cloaked as "neutral" information for employees, is an all too common practice among employers in their campaigns against unionization.

Bill Price, the Vice President of Amazon Customer Service, sent out an e-mail on Wednesday informing the department of the Web site's existence and explaining why the company was making such a move. "We've heard your request for more information," said Price in the email. "This site is one way we can answer your questions and provide you with information on union issues."

Day 2/WashTech responded to the FAQ today, highlighting what it considers to be mistakes and misleading information on the company's Web site.

FOR MORE INFO:

Day 2 Rebuttal to Amazon.com Management's FAQ http://www.washtech.org/day2/122800_rebuttal.html

Union Organizers Criticize Amazon FAQ CNET News. 12/28/00 http://www.washtech.org/news/122800_amazon.html

********

For more info on WashTech's mission and goals, see: http://www.washtech.org/mission_goals.html

To join WashTech online, see: https://secure.speakeasy.net/washtech/join_form.html

----------------------------------------------- The WashTech News, a free digest of news of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, is delivered via email bi-monthly or whenever issues warrant. We accept all confirmed subscriptions to the newsletter. The WashTech-News subscriber list is a private list whose membership will not be disclosed outside this organization.