Speaking of Rape & Deconstruction

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:14:41 PST 2000

I wonder if devotees of deconstruction are comfortale "deconstructing" the "binary" between consent and lack of consent and putting the category of rape under erasure? No is supplemented by Yes, and vice versa? When a woman says, "what part of No don't you understand?" a deconstructive (or Freudian) man might say, "well, there is no such thing as a No that is not always already deconstructed," and proceed to do the same old work of sexism.

Pop deconstructors often make, without any evidence, a totalizing truth claim that all "binary" thinking -- true/false, reality/fantasy, etc. -- is "metaphysical" and therefore oppressive, predicated upon "violent exclusion," but I wonder if they ever think through the consequence of their own claim.

Yoshie