Rape/rape offender profiles

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 1 18:22:06 PST 2000

>>>What's the point of this analogy between raping and eating, though? That
>both are verbs doesn't mean the actions described by them belong in the
>same category of behaviors that have the same histories (biological &
>social). Humans cannot go without eating, but men can do very well without
>raping. I haven't heard of a man who died because he had no person to rape.
>
>Yoshie
>
>=======
>Is grooming anthropomorphic? How about nurturing? How about song? Do birds
>REALLY sing? Or is it just a semantic delusion, a bit of sophistry on our
>part? Thanks for missing my point.
>
>Ian

What's the point? I'm sure ethology is endlessly interesting to you & perhaps other posters, but the point of the thread is _rape_, which is to say, a _political_ question that concerns _us_, not dolphins. Dolphins don't give _a damn_ about what you think of their sex.

Yoshie

P.S. I'd change my mind if dolphin females began to organize themselves into a political movement demanding emancipation from sexist oppression. Or if dolphin males began to justify their behaviors in sexist terms. : )

P.P.S. Human, all too human....