Historical Progres

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 19:03:07 PST 2000

<< James Farmelant wrote:

> I wonder how Justin and Sam would evaluate Alan Carling's

> formulation of a weakened technological determinism?

I read Carling a long time ago, when I taught a grad seminar on Cohen & his critics, and may have assigned a bit, but I can't recall any details. I can say this. I think the whole effort to get some version of an 1859 Preface model of historicial dyanmics off the ground as a framework for thinking about Marx or history was a bad mistake that led the analytical Marxists who attempted it astray. An ahistorical theory of history, what an odd thought. Marx at least never said it was more than a Leitfaden, a guiding thread.

--jks