needs and desires (Jim O'Connor)

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 1 21:18:01 PST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:33:21 -0500 Kelley <oudies at flash.net> wrote:

> >Barbara Laurence wrote:

> > badic needs

Please excuse my ignorance... what's a badic need?

> god, i've been pounding away at ken about this in terms of infant development
and the problem with lacanian psychoanalytic theory for months now.

Remember, needs are real.

desire - symbolic demand - imaginary need - real

So if badic means what I think it means, then we're pounding on the same ground. Speaking of pounding... the admin and the union reached an agreement, it sucks, it really sucks, but the membership is wore out. I just spent 4 hours at a sceaming match figuring out whether or not we'll send the proposal to radification. Yes, we did. But the membership might still say no. If we say yes, we fuck a good number of our members, if we say no, we'll likely be decertified by the provincial government in June. Crap.

ken