Intellects, and a bit on desire and scarcity

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 2 15:45:03 PST 2000

Yo Kelley,

>>Ref. the question I asked of your "and therefore" (see below): in this
>>context it is not a self-slight to apologize in advance for the likelihood
>>that one will not speak accurately, acceptably. Rather it is the gesture
>>we must all make every time we speak, before speaking, or we should be
>>guilty of a kind of hybris. In a sense it is the proudest gesture we can
>>make if we allow as how we're human, if we both rejoice in and agree to the
>>limitations of our humanity.
>

>hey joanna! not that i'm not completely capable of this

--Why do you say that?

but think about
>this: when someone does so and does so with great flourish it feels kind
>of passive in so far as they appear to be engaging in self-deprecation and
>yet! it is, even as you put it above, aggressive in its assumption that the
>one you're interlocuting with is the one with the even more devastating
>character flaw than human fallibility: an egoism that denies this
>infallibility and that inevitably results in hubris and their own downfall.'

Oh, but there's proud without arrogant. The (passive-)aggressive gesture you describe comes with a holier-than-thou sticker on it that I haven't seen in R.S. posts. Certainly anyone who wants to be what the Germans would call konsequent about rejoicing in the bodiliness of humanity would have to swear off arrogance.

>not that rob's doing this consciously or whatever. but i can certainly see
>how it would be irritating. my gram irritates the hell out me when she
>does it to me! and my mother's hub irritates the hell out of her when he
>goes on about being too dumb to figure out how to do the laundry properly
>and then argues with her about her claims about how to do laundry properly!
>
>i guess laundry and derrida aren't the same though, huh?
>
>kelley

No but they bear close watching to make sure they don't get too chummy. Hey, I hope we haven't just tossed Rob into our laundry basket. I have this image of him in there with his feet in the air and his hands going, "what?" and the MOST puzzled look on his face. He'd better show up soon to defend himself or he'll end up in your gram's wringer...

Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com