A Drooling Response to Rob

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 3 09:45:44 PST 2000

Fair enough, but this is not at all inconsistent with the point I am making. With respect to a large number of moral disputes there is agreement on ultimate values or moral principles. However this does not mean that there are not moral disputes among people who share these values and principles, disputes that may be solved by science or reference to empirical facts. Indeed if the basis for morality is certain moral sentiments and sympathy as philosophers such as Hume suggest it would seem that only facts plus ultimate appeal to these sentiments could solve moral disputes.

Moral disputes are disputes about what we ought to do. They are practical in that they are about how we ought to act, not about theory per se or what is. They are often solved not by some ultimate discusion of the good or the right but about what is the case. Claiming that disputes are not moral disputes if there is underlying moral agreement results in it being stipulatively true that probably the vast majority of what we now call moral disputes will not be such. I find this departure from ordinary discourse unhelpful and it certainly will not stop ordinary folk ( and everyone else I expect) from discussion these issues in terms of what ought to be done.

Cheers, Ken Hanly