Z magazine on Marc Cooper and Mumia

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Feb 4 11:08:26 PST 2000

Michael Yates wrote:

> The recent issue of Z Magazine has an editorial that damns Marc Cooper
> for his recent article critical of the efforts to free Mumia. It is
> very good, in my opinion.

> I read the Z piece too and agree. Someone needed to make a cohesive
> counter to Cooper.

The KPFK beg-a-thon is going on now, and since Cooper is host of an hour program that runs Monday through Friday he is in there pitching for money for Pacifica. Needless to say, he is not on strike against Pacifica as are the reporters who sent out the press release. Rather, he has been a chief supporter of the national office - Berry & co.

One of the prizes Cooper is offering and touting as a great book is Arianna Huffington's "How to Overthrow the Government" or something to that effect. I haven't seen the book but I find it hard to believe that Huffington's reasons for wanting to overthrow the government have anything to do with a left vision of economic and social revolution. She, after all, wanted to get rid of SSI - that is a part of government - and replace it with her own private charity. Is it possible to do a flip conversion from a conservative Republican position (married to Michael Harrington) to a revolutionary leftie? HMMMMM Next time I'm in a book store I intend to investigate.

One more bit of info - a few weeks back KPFK ran a program that was a long interview with William Buckley - basically a pitch for Buckley's new book. If that wasn't bad enough, the show was produced by some organization in New York which was in part funded by the Buckley Foundation. I complained to KPFK - what is the difference between that and taking corporate donations?? They did pull the show but the question is how did it manage to get on the KPFK airwaves in the first place?

The old standards sure seem to be going by the wayside.

Marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/