facts, science, muck and what ought to be done

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 5 05:56:04 PST 2000

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:44:22 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> It is only sexism that makes abortion, but not other medical services (like
vasectomy, root canals, etc.), look like an _especially weighty_ moral decision, unlike any other.

Misogyny I'd say.

Carrol wrote:

> I like your "The real issue here is power." Of course I presume that recent
events in Toronto have made you specially sensitive to the uses of power (and the terrors of non-power).

In all my Lacanian readings... power is always the real issue. The moral point of view, of which many here have expressed distaste, is an attempt to purity power to a singularity, deemed right [from the mouth of God]. The events in Toronto, at least for me, has illustrated the... I don't have a good word here... the teleological realization?... of mindless protocol in political struggle. I think I also received a shot in the arm regarding the cunning of reason. In an asymetrical ideological and political struggle, it is important to change the ideological field - simply accepting the terms of the hegemonic force and coming up with counterarguments isn't as effective as opening the entire horizon to different and apparently unrelated ideas (many of the people I talked to were not persuaded by our demand for tuition relief and higher wages... but were intrigued when I tied it to public education and academic freedom). My experiences in all of this were limited though... and likely idiosyncratic.

ken