facts, science, muck and what ought to be done

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Feb 5 14:53:48 PST 2000

I need some clarification. My understanding is that private insurance does not pay for abortion, like it doesn't pay for contraceptives -- maybe this has changed?? Women seeking abortions then, must pay for it themselves unless they qualify through Planned Parenthood or some other funding mechanism - is that correct? They don't need to get a prescription from a doctor to have an abortion either if I've got it right. They can go straight to a clinic. What is the current battle being waged for abortion funding - is it funding planned parenthood. or individual abortion clinics? Is this private funding or public funding? Is there a battle for insurance companies to include abortion as a treatment??

I think I need to understand this before going any further.

Marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/