Self/Other or Singular

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 10:37:03 PST 2000

In message <3.0.5.32.20000206000804.007aadb0 at pop.netlink.com.au>, rc-am <rcollins at netlink.com.au> writes

>I wasn't quarreling on the issue itself, but as to whether it's possible to
>simply toss aside 'the problematic of self and other'. This is an
>occassion where I think it's at work.

The 'problematic of the self and other' makes a transient conflict into an absolute logical form. Sartre and deBeauvoir did this with the concept of 'the other' that they took from Hegel's Master-Slave dialectic. Except that the Hegelian 'other' was the more progressive, since it was not an absolute but only a transient form of existence. Hence what Hegel saw as surmountable, seemed to Sartre insurmountable.

In plain(er) English, Sartre thought that racism was for ever, Hegel hoped that slavery could be overcome. -- Jim heartfield