Definition of Eugenics? (RE: Murray raves again: capitalist patriarchy hardwired!

Sun Feb 6 15:47:43 PST 2000

>Those who sought to perfect the "human stock" through eugenic
>means. This would include the unworthy poor who were considered genetically
>inferior as well as disabled people.
>Disability themes include the use of contemporary technology (medical
>castration in the case of the eugenicists) to cure or prevent disability;
>the notion that disability is a burden to the society, families, and the
>individuals themselves; unquestioned assumptions about social and cultural
>ideals of beauty and perfection; and a refusal to accept the idea that human
>diversity (as applied to disablement) enriches society. Rather the eugenic
>idea was to "progress" beyond disability...
>

>Marta

Surely there's a difference between "eugenics" meaning "you people cannot have children" and "eugenics" meaning "I hope that my (and everyone else's) great grandchildren won't have to wear glasses"?

Brad DeLong