Ramsey Clark article

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 6 21:28:46 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I basically agree with Jim. Besides the point Jim made, I'd also point out
>the sexist suggestion of the article:
>
>***** WWP cadre Gavriella Gemma became a secretary in Clark's New York
>law office in 1977. In his New Republic piece, Judis suggests that Clark
>fell under her spell and was won over to the WWP. When David McReynolds of
>the War Resisters League met with Clark in 1990 to warn him that WWP was
>"using him," Clark refused to listen, constantly referring to what
>"Gavriella said." *****
>
>Yeah, when a man moves leftward, chalk it all up to an evil "spell" of a
>communist woman. Wow, this is old! "Put the blame on Mame, boys, Put the
>blame on Mame...".

A few years ago, I sat in the WBAI studio and watched as party boss Sam Marcy was escorted down the hall by a woman - I assumed she was Gemma, but I wasn't sure. He was barely mobile, and his countenance suggested a state of mental absence. She sat him down in front of the microphone. On cue, he launched into a rant, and she furiously took notes on everything he said - page after page. He reached his coda, and fell silent. She stopped writing, and escorted him away.

This seems to be a party thing. Scott McLemmee told me he read of Spart guru Jim Robertson referring to "July legal pad #7."

Doug