On the Use of Clinical Terms in Social Theory

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 07:35:16 PST 2000

> Statements of this sort about mental illness, and in particular about

> those illnesses miscalled "psychoses," cannot form the substance

> of any conversation among decent people. Your question refers to

> style, my post referred to substance. There is no possible style which

> could make Ken's propositions civil.

I don't quite understand, off hand, why clinical terms are inappropriate for

social theoretical discourse.

I'm with Ken here. People also use legal terms like "guilty" or "criminal" in a loose and popular sense rather than in a strict and technical sense, and they use old outmoded technical terms like "melanchonic" or "choleric," etc.

If I say that David Irving, the holocaust denying historian of Nazi Germany, is a psycho or a psychopath, anyone who gets upset on behalf of the mentally ill is missing the point. I am not insulting the mentally ill, least of all by using a term which I am now told doesn't actually apply to any mentally ill persons any more.

Granted, it's not a scientific term, but that doesn't mean using it puts one beyond the pale of civilized discussion. What about that "beyond the pale"--as a Jew, should I be offended that the main surving reference to that episode of Russian anti-semitism is to mean, in English, "unacceptable"? Come on, guys and gals, let's not overdose on PC here.

--jks