Breaking Butterflies & Poisoning Wells

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 7 09:44:46 PST 2000

This thread really began with the posting of Marc Cooper's essay on Mumia and the efforts to free him. Some references were made in later posts to essays strongly criticizing Cooper and/or commenting on the case in a way that suggests that Cooper is badly in error. As I recall, ChuckO made some criticisms of some of the leaders of the Free Mumia movement, but he has the great merit of speaking as a person involved in the movement himself, at least in the past. Then we get a post, unsigned, forwarded by Doug, telling us how one of Mumia's supporters and I take it something of a leader in the movement has made statements in the past supporting capital punishment in China. this person turns out to be in the RCP, a Maoist group.

Now a good question is: what follows from our knowledge that Clark Kissinger made these statements in the past? Or that he is in the RCP, or that the RCP is, in the view of some, a cult and full of fanatics? Carrol suggests that, since the RCP has extremely little power and influence in the U.S., it is a butterfly. So why bother with this attack on Kissinger and the RCP? Is there some other motive for this? Is the attack on Kissinger an attack on Mumia and the movement to free him?

I think that if we take Cooper's advice and make the year 2000 a year free from Mumia, the chance increases considerably that Mumia will be killed by the state of Pennsylvania. So isn't it true that if we agree with Cooper, we are willing to allow this chance to increase? Personally, I'd rather march with Kissinger (and subject him or anyone else to criticism) than take Cooper's advice.

Michael Yates