The Psychoses

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 8 07:14:57 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug can't see the difference between using the word
>cancer (actually, the correct term I believe would be malignant
>carcinoma)

Carincoma is a type of cancer.

> for many different kinds of cancer (*all*
>fundamentally characterized by "run-away proliferation of
>cells -- hence all having the same same etiology

Uh, no. Leukemia has a different etiology from melanoma, but we call them both cancers.

> It is as outmoded a concept as phlogiston. Unless
>posters keep this distinction in mind they will make no
>sense of this entire thread. "Psychotic" (noun) is as
>inexcusable as "dumb peasant" or "damn cripple" or
>"trailer trash."

Can we use "nuts," or is that on the index of proscribed words too? How about "bonkers"?

>Example that everyone knows: LSD and other drugs bring
>on psychotic symptoms. But LSD hardly constitutes a
>psychosis.

No shit. Who claimed it did?

>I invite the clods who think this topic trivial to discuss it with
>Marta.

Clods? You're such a charmer, Carrol. But you insult in the name of clarity; the rest of us, because we're benighted bigots. See, I'm learning!

Doug