Excludability, baselines, and property rights

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Tue Feb 8 09:43:43 PST 2000

>>This is a real standard move in libertarian labor theory of property
rights theories (to be distinguished from labor theory of value!(, on which property rights are determined by having worked on stuff that no one else has a right to or having acquired taht stuff by voluntary exchange. Locke and more recently Nozick hold theories of this sort. In law, Richard Epstein of the U of C law school is the big proponent of this view. Theories of this sort are rightly called "natural rights" theories because they supposedly derive current property rights from some sort of presocial, prelegal state of nature. On this sort of theory, legal rights are supposed to track natural ones, and natural ones are the sort described here.<<

The thing that interests me is how one might propose to go from a Lockean theory of property to *intellectual* property. Lockean property rights (I'm not sure about Nozick, because I always blew off reading him) only guarantees excludability with regard to rival goods (in Brad's sense) -- the "as much and as good" clause, if I recall correctly, means that when it comes to ideas, anything goes.

If you invent a widget, then you can claim property in an unowned idea which you have mixed with your labour. But if someone copies your widget, they leave "as much and as good" for you, so no harm done. But if you argue that your property in your idea prevents them from doing that -- that what you have taken ownership of is exclusive rights to that idea -- then you run up against the same restriction, because exclusive licensing clearly breaches the "as much and as good" clause by depriving future widget inventors of the fruits of their invention. So I don't see how a Lockean account of property rights can ever give you anything like patents. And the same, I think, goes for copyrights. Trademarks I think you could probably slip through under a Nozickian account by some sort of extension of "self-ownership".

I'll second the view that the argument on use of words begining with psych- is not getting anywhere. Whatever anyone's deontological view, I hope we can agree to use this terminology with care, on consequentialist ones?

ahhhhh, I think I'm feeling better. If anybody wants to see some truly terrible tendentious crap about how there's never going to be any banking crises again in the new economy, ask me what I've been doing for the last month.

cheers

dd

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.