What Nader fails to understand

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Feb 8 10:58:58 PST 2000

Hi,

> Thanks for this. While it gives good arguments, both principled and
> strategic, for why an alliance with a reform party led by Buchanan might
> not be a good idea, it is a significant jump from this to the position
> stated above, namely that "anti-elitism, anti-government critiques,
> anti-repression arguments and anti-globalization arguments" should not be
> a fundamental component of the progressive critique.

Wow, I certainly don't think I said that. These are core concepts of progressive populism. At least what I meant to say was that at a time when anti-elitism, anti-government critiques, anti-repression arguments and anti-globalization arguments are also coming from sectors of the hard right, as progressives we need to be careful not to form coalitions with these people in a way that maskes their union-busting, racism, homophobia, antisemitism and sexism.

The Naderite people have built a cozy relationship with the right wing Milliken textile interests (notorious union-busters), promoted the views of a right wing anti-Japanese xenophobe named Pat Choate, put leaders of right wing union-busting business nationalist groups such as NAM and USBIC on their antiglobalism panels, allowed circulation of antisemitic material at their meetings, and refused to publicly discuss why they think this is appropriate.

-Chip