the cancers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 8 12:31:23 PST 2000

[majordomo is failing to mungedomain properly, even though it's been repeatedly told to]

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:30:36 -0600 (CST) From: jf noonan <jfn1 at pcjfn.msc.com>

> > Carrol Cox wrote:
> >
> >>Doug can't see the difference between using the word
> >>cancer (actually, the correct term I believe would be malignant
> >>carcinoma)

No you're quite wrong. In your passion for pedantic nit-picking, you show yourself to be full of shit.

Doug:

> > Carincoma is a type of cancer.

Yes, exactly.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, alessandro coricelli wrote:

> no, carcinoma *is* cancer (from latin carcinoma and greek
> karkinoma, which comes from karkinos, crab). Both, carcinoma
> and cancer,mean "malignant tumor". There is no
> "non"malignant cancer (or carcinoma).

No, a carcinoma is an epithelial cancer, and as Doug said, a *type* of cancer. There are others (e.g. leukemias and lymphomas), that are not tumors of the epithelium. Carcinoma is not a synonym for cancer. It most certainly is not the More Correct term for cancer, although some psychotics seem to think so.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com