Best Movies of 1999 with Political Themes

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Tue Feb 8 13:58:36 PST 2000

Hi all,

For something completely different, I was wondering what people's favorite films of 1999 were (with the emphasis on political themes), since we did not have much discussion there.

I would have to say that the best of the crop in my mind were (and remember I am imprisoned in New Haven and don't have access to the films that only play in NYC):

Number 1 by a long way-- THREE KINGS. An extremely interesting, complex film about the Gulf War, anti-Saddam but profoundly cynical about US motives for the war and featuring harsh condemnation of the US selling out the indigenous resistance to Hussein's rule. Yet even within that frame, the movie's portrayal of the Arab characters was more multidimensional than any film I can think of-- even a torturer working for Hussein was sympathetic as the US bombs killing his child was compared to the lack of aggression against US children. It was a bit rah-rah for the inherent decency of the US GI Joe, but still had a nice populist streak across the board with absolute by-name disdain for Bush's bailing out of the rich Kuwaiti monarchy.

Number 2- ROCK THE CRADLE - Tim Robbins totally unapologetic propagandistic love letter to the Federal Theatre Project in the 1930s and its ideals of bringing culture and theatre to every town. Along with some very nice performances -- Bill Murray plays his usual schtick for an inverted tragedy in the context of McCarthyism, there were come subtle complexities of balancing union politics, sexual freedom, family loyalties and personal survival in the context of the political struggle. And a last shot absolutely slamming the emptiness of Broadway theater today.

Number 3- South Park, just hilarious flat-out with random political commentary on a host of subjects, but mostly centered on the hysteria of parents looking to the media as a scapegoat for violence and problems. The anthem "Blame Canada" (i.e. for sending comedy to corrupt the young) leads into a satire of a war on Canada that puts "Wag the Dog" and "Canadian Bacon" to shame. I saw the film with my roommate from Russia, so it was especially fun.

Number 4- American Beauty- a really good film but a bit overrated considering the films overlooked in its praise. It has a nice exploration of the banality of "lives of quiet desperation" with very good performance by Kevin Spacey and Annette Benning. But the freedom found in consumer excess was better done by Brook's "Lost in America", with a sharper hit on the bogus underbelly of that faux-freedom from daily capitalist toil. But still, a far better film than the usual Oscar-worthy movies highlighted in past years.

I could go on, but wonder what other folks thought?

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu