the cancers

alessandro coricelli alessandro.coricelli at rcn.com
Tue Feb 8 14:03:52 PST 2000

Joseph Noonan:

> No, a carcinoma is an epithelial cancer, and as Doug said, a
> *type* of cancer. There are others (e.g. leukemias and
> lymphomas), that are not tumors of the epithelium. Carcinoma is
> not a synonym for cancer. It most certainly is not the More
> Correct term for cancer, although some psychotics seem to think
> so.

ok, you're right. But still, they (carcinoma and cancer) share the same root "karkinos", which means crab. It works like this (etymologically)) : karkinos ---> karkinoma ---> carcinoma ; karkinos ---> kankro ---> canchero (pop for "crab" in latin) ----> cancer. Cancer "includes" carcinoma. Doug was right, you are right, but I'm not that wrong. Who says that carcinoma is the correct term for cancer is wrong.

alessandro