Chatsworth (Durban) Evictions

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Wed Feb 9 04:35:58 PST 2000

>From the Debate list - please send this on and raise the issue with your colleagues:

News on recent developments in the huge anti-evictions mobilisations taking place in Chatsworth, Durban at the moment.

This morning a contingent of about 200 SAPS, City Police and *army* personnel descended on Chatsworth to give cover to the Sheriff who was to evict families who had fallen behind in their rent to Council in this area.

Although this force was triple the size of the one that failed to evict families earmarked the previous day, they had not come with a better or more "efficient" plan, as they had promised. Community scouts picked up the convey of police vehicles coming into this flat-land area when they were still 5 minutes away. Hundreds of people gathered in the alleys between the flats and waited to see to which house the police would go. As soon as they arrived, the community blockaded the selected flat and another stand-off ensued.

Affidavits were scrawled on spare pieces of paper, money collected for revenue stamps and lawyers despatched to seek an interim order from the court stopping the eviction. However, at this time the Council police (otherwise known as the Black-jacks as a result of their SS outfits) arrived with instructions not to wait for the interdict but to go ahead with the evictions in any event.

They were there to make a point.

Without warning, teargas was sprayed, people assaulted and rubber bullets fired. There was chaos. According to reports, some cops were disarmed in the melee. Then the shooting with live ammunition began. These scenes can be seen tonight on e-TV whose brave camera-person threaded in and out of the crowd, ignoring the reckless behaviour of the police.

Scores of people, including a journalist from East-Coast radio, Raghunee Archary were injured, I think in the face and doctors are saying that she may need plastic surgery.

Community leaders say that tomorrow there will be a march to an undisclosed venue to protest against these actions. Everyone in Durban who is concerned or affected by these events is invited by them to meet in Road 332, Westcliff, Unit 3 in Chatsworth at 09h00.

It may be too soon to say whether these mobilisations will be successful and the evictions of these indigent people warded off. However, judging by the expressions of rage and determination of people in this area, THE GOVERNMENT is again A REGIME, and levels of antagonism to it are back at levels that only PW Botha could really manage.

I include yet another newspaper report of events in Chatsworth yesterday, this time from the Daily News (p 2) which includes a half page picture. Are there similar mobilisations occurring elsewhere. How are they (to be) made visible and generalised?

___________________________________

HUMAN SHIELD PREVENTS EVICTION OF FAMILY

by Farook Khan

ABOUT 150 Indian women yesterday formed a human chain around the home of Mr Emmanuel Fani Mhlongo (41), a single parent and father of five in Bayview, Chatsworth and warned the sheriff that they would resist any moves to evict the family.

The sheriff and his men turned up with shotguns, backed by riot police armed with teargas and City Policemen with firearms to evict Mhlongo because he was in arrears with his rent.

According to Mhlongo, a taxi-driver who has lived in the predominantly Indian suburb for the last nine years, he has been out of work.

"I could no longer pay the R320 a month and as it is a battle to feed my five children who all go to nearby schools. The city council is determined to throw me and my children onto the street", said Mhlongo.

He said he did not know what to do when the "army" appeared to evict him.

Women came from all sides and within seconds they linked hands and faced the armed men.

Community leaders, among them Dr Ashwin Desai, heard about the stand-off and rushed to the scene.

Prof Fatima Meer and her band of activists, The Concerned Citizens Forum (sic), the Legal Resources Centre lawyers ... was there within minutes.

The sheriff, his men, the SAPS and city police were quickly surrounded and hopelessly outnumbered.

"Leave now", screamed the women. "Leave now"

But the police stood their ground.

Chairman of the Bayview residents' Association and a few others talked to the force of armed people and pointed out that the women would not leave. Instead, it would be the "gentlemanly" thing for them to withdraw.

After close to an hour, the officials and armed forces pulled back, the Mhlongo's front door was opened and the children fed - but the human chain remained in place, despite the blazing sun.

The women refused to move until the police left Chatsworth. It was only then that they disbanded, but not without first giving the family instructions on how to call for help if under duress again.

"I am part of this community. I know these people and they know me. My children have no other friends except the kids of Bayview", said Mr Mhlongo.

Mrs Devi Govender (43), one of the women in the human chain, said that their demonstration was simply an act of unity. She said the community had made its stand and would continue to act to help anyone else in distress.

Desai said he was "fascinated" that the women mobilised so quickly and so effectively. "Suddenly there was a human shield. it was an amazing sight," he said.

________

end -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20000209/9c5573bd/attachment.htm>