Death Penalty, the Labor Party, & Political Responsibility (wasRe: Break...

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 09:36:16 PST 2000

>but the real issue here is a legal technicality a.k.a "fair

trial"

Spare me the right wing bullshit. The due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment is not a "legal technicality" but a priceless victory. The notion that the accused is entitled to a fair trial should not be put in scare quotes. It is a victory--partially--wrested from the authority over centuries of struggle. I am a law 'n order reactionary, and the Fourteenth Amendment is the law of the land, supreme over the criminal statutes the enforcement of which it regulates. I have contempt and loathing for the self-styled conservatives who would tear up the law to get at the (usually dark skinned) people who everyone knows are "really" guilty because, after all, the police said so even if they did violate the US Constitution, which we all know is nothing but a technicality for sleazy lawyers.

i don't care whether Mumia is a wacko or not. Matter of fact, I agree with most of what I have read of what he writes, which may make me a wacko. But he didn't get a fair trial. We'll see whether he gets a retrial or the needle.

--jks