Death Penalty, the Labor Party, & Political Responsibility(wasRe: Break...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 9 18:09:29 PST 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>That if you want to pick up a political fight, you do not want a poster boy
>who has skeletons in his closet and his main defence is a spin on legal
>procedures.

I've been critical of both Mumia & his supporters, but there's no doubt he got a crappy trial, and that the U.S. criminal justice system is racist and oppressive. That's a lot more significant than legal technicalities.

>Most people understand "justice" as "crime does not pay" rather than "let
>the criminal walk because the cop who arrested him did not fill the
>required paperwork." Simplistic? Sure. But ridiculing it by calling it a
>"lynch mob mentality" will ceratinly not change that.

Cops beat people, shoot them, manufacture evidence, and lie at trials. That's a lot more significant than not filling out the required paperwork. I'm still at a loss to understand what you are advocating.

Doug