Zizek on Haider

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 19:07:11 PST 2000

Zizek's comments on the plebeian extreme right are as sniveling and evasive as anything I've seen yet, when they are not simply banal. Suppose he is correct. What does he propose that the radical left should do? Support Haider? Ignore Haider? Oppose Haider? And what is Zizek's attitude toward the actual policies and actions of the radical left against Haider? It is precisely this kind of windy sophistry by so-called public intellectuals that disgusts activists. Let me ask Doug: What use is any of Zizek's analysis, first, in responding to the present situation in Austria, and second, in addressing the general two-party fraud? Do you really think that the twin ruling parties spawn third parties in order to prevent the rise of left alternatives? If I had written that, I'd be thumped as a conspiracy monger, but because an oracle has spoken, we should accept it as revelation?

Ken Lawrence