false consciousness and psychosis

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 10 04:46:38 PST 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:17:17 -0500 Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> Certainly, I would agree with that, with the qualification that sometimes
> reality practices us.

> CB: By this do you mean something different than that we are bound by the
laws of objective reality ?

Sort of. In the sense that sometimes we "live" without actually "living" - a kind of cause and effect within the subject as such.

Take this example: I'm talking about pigs - and someone says pork - they say pork!? And what they are saying here, knowiningly or unknowningly, is "I've just been to the butcher!" Reality sometimes speaks us. There is a big debate at NYU right now about zombies. I'd say that zombies are alive and well, we are already dead. Our economy treats us like objects. Which is why I suspect Goth and cyber-punk cultures have become so popular - we're not human (though we ought to be free), we're vampires (who only go out at night to escape the working day) or cyborgs (machines inside ghosts).

haunted, ken