Fords net initiative

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Thu Feb 10 05:48:49 PST 2000

Carl--This is a little icing on the cake after the recent profit sharing announcement. I haven't solicited any comments from any of my UAW friends & neighbors who work for Ford. And up to this point they are not rubbing it in.

Meanwhile, in the steel industry, because of the import situation and these high-finance merger and acquisition deals, the average Steelworker is probably happy his paycheck hasn't bounced.

Steel imports are still about 15 million tons higher than they should be and the trend looks to me like it's going up again and has been switched into other steel product lines. This will require a whole new effort.

Then there is the problem of our shrinking customer base, as more manufacturing is shifted out of the USA and to the second and third world. Last year alone the USA lost something like 250,000 or more industrial jobs!

One thing positive about the UAW/Ford computer effort is that it runs counter to this recent revolting development in federal level labor law: http://www.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisSlug=PRIV0208&date=08-Feb-2000&word=northwest

Tom

Carl Remick wrote:

> Following is an excerpt from Michael Thomas’s column in the current NY
> Observer. Thomas’s Stars-and-Stripes-Forever ending here is a bit much, but
> I agree that Ford’s decision to give its global workforce Internet access is
> a rara avis for sure – a genuinely enlightened corporate act:
>
> “[Ford’s]

decision to computerize its workers is one of the two truly