Zizek on Haider

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 09:09:57 PST 2000

Kenneth Mackendrick wrote, in reply to my post,

> The bigger the deal that is made about Haider, the *MORE SUPPORT HE WILL
GET*

etc.

My post included a series of questions posed rhetorically to Zizek and his supporters, so I assume that KM writes as a Zizekite in reply, whether or not his posture is as hubristic as the celebrity intellectual's.

In any event, it is an outrageous reply. Whenever fascists raise their ugly hoods, they must be chased out of town. They cannot be ignored, and they are not a joke. (To act as though they are is to insult their victims.) But why is it that academics can be so blase about fascism, as KM is, or so able to turn discussion away from the threat to find fault with and blame easy targets, as Zizek does? People who actually suffer at the hands of the National Front, the Front National, and the Freedom Party do not enjoy such luxury, and it is not academic poseurs (or their symbiotic social democratic foils) who have stopped them, but mass movements like SOS Racisme.

Furthermore, as we know, the Austrian radical left has responded militantly to the new situation with mass mobilizations and disruptions (not unlike, Seattle, Doug), and the very least we can do is express our unqualified solidarity with their action.

Ken Lawrence