Zizek on Haider

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 10 10:21:15 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Yet when Austria elects a racist xenophobic party riddled with ex-Nazis to
>government, we are supposed to advocate "mockery" as the solution, rather
>than mobilization of political tools to isolate the country?
>
>Would mockery have been the proper approach to Haider's Afrikaan cousins in
>South Africa?

There's a big difference between an organized mass movement like the anti-apartheid movement, and the bleatings of Clinton and Blair and liberal editorialists (not to mention the Israeli government, which has a lot of nerve criticizing anti-immigrant/racist politicians). Such bleatings only add to the allure of the demonized character.

Doug