What Nader fails to understand.

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 10 10:44:36 PST 2000

Michael Hoover cites the book of Donald Warren on MAR's. Warren also has a book on Father Coughlin (piece of political trivia, a young Tom Hayden went to the church of Coughlin growing up in Michigan), that came out a few years ago from Basic Books, blurbed by John Judis.

Also on Middle American Radicals, the paleo-con polemicist, Sam Francis (used to write for the Washington Times, now exiled to the Spotlight and other venues) has a paperback out there expanding on MAR's and the perfidy of the neo-cons.

See below, for two books with Sam, see the 2nd has that Rushton character, and Jared Taylor, of the rag, American Renaissance. Michael Levin, I seem to dimly remember a column by Alex Cockburn years ago on him, or whas it, Norman Cantor, who appears in The New Criterion, on occasion. (And why is Hilton Kramer, so cranky, btw?)

Michael Pugliese

Beautiful Losers: Essays on the Failure of American Conservatism by Samuel Francis Table of Contents

Acknowledgments

Introduction: Ideas and No Consequences 1 (cf. Richard Weaver, Ideas Have Consequences, Univ. of Chicago Press, for agood treatment see, George Nash, "The Conservative Intellectual Movement In America, 2nd edition, Intercollegiate Studies Institute, editorial comment, M.P.)

Foreign Policy and the South 19

Henry Clay and the Statecraft of Circumstance 35

Message from MARs: The Social Politics of the New Right 60

Prophet of the Heartland 79

The Harmless Persuasion 88

Neoconservatism and the Managerial Revolution 95

The Case of George (S)Will 118

The Other Side of Modernism: James Burnham and His Legacy 129

The Evil That Men Don't Do: Joe McCarthy and the American Right 139

The Cult of Dr. King 152

Who's In Charge Here? 161

Imperial Conservatives? 170 (National Greatness Conservatives in Billy Kristol's phrase, another comment, M.P.)

Inhospitable Neos: A Reply to Ernest Van den Haag 176

As We Go Marching 181 ( Cf."We Must March My Darlings, " by Diana Trilling, or Clara Weatherwax, 30's proletarian novelist, "Marching, Marching!" M.P.)

Rouge on a Corpse's Lips 191

The Secret of the Twentieth Century 199

Equality as a Political Weapon 208

Beautiful Losers: The Failure of American Conservatism 222

Index 233

Real American Dilemma: Race, Immigration, and the Future of America Michael Levin Samuel Francis J. Philippe Rushton Jared Taylor (Editor)