DLC poll data, "Vital Center" or Dead Center?

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 10 11:13:21 PST 2000

http://www.dlc.org/poll2000_analysis.htm

I lifted "Dead Center" from the new book by Presidential scholar, James McGregor Burns, with that title. It's an examination of the Clinton-Gore years. And in one of those ironies, Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. blurbs the book. (But don't let that make you not pick up the book, looks like a good left-liberal instant history/polemic against DLC center-right pragmatism. I knew James son, Stewart Burns at UCSC, he was in our DSA local, has written good work himself, think he's at Stanford now.

On the Mark Penn poll, get a load of his "conjoint analysis". Me, I'll stick with Stanley Greenberg, the ex-neo-Marxist pollster for Bill, when it comes to polls. Stanley's wife is Rep. Rosa De Lauro, and his brother Edward, is still a neo-marxist political scientist. Stan's big book, "Race and State In Capitalist Development, " Yale Univ, Press is still worth a look, along with George Frederickson's work, as left comparitive analysis of apartheid and the segregrated Southern USA.

And I see, Ken Lawrence, participating again, any comments on Bill Bradley using the "white skin privilege" line? And Cornel West tailing Bradley?

Michael Pugliese