Zizek on Haider

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 11:41:50 PST 2000

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Er, wasn't mockery -- a prime example being Chaplin's (especially
>>untimely) _The Great Dictator_ -- exactly how the world tried to
>>defuse the threat of Mussolini and Hitler? The beta version of this
>>approach doesn't seem to have been a big success.
>
>I don't know that "the world" tried to defuse fascism in the 20s and
>30s.

Picky, picky. The main point is, mockery did zip to limit Mussolini's and Hitler's rise. As I recall, Mussolini and Hitler were a staple of U.S. comedy routines in the '30s. M's ridiculous strut and glare; Hitler's ridiculous mustache and rants -- the two were a gift to comedians. Pretty expensive cheap laughs, as it turned out.