Mumia, why little Black support

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Thu Feb 10 11:55:01 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> If I had to speculate about why Mumia has not captured the imagination of the
> Black community, I'd point to some obvious factors. As Wojtek insists, his
> odd affiliations (MOVE) and even his hairstyle (deadlocks) are probably
> offputting, despite the reasnable and accessible tone of his writings.

Its possible that a great many people have never heard of Mumia since his case has only been publicized in the USA in the small circulation lefty press. I think if people were to read him or hear his *Live From Death Row* broadcast they would think twice when they hear an articulate and intelligent person. There have been very sympathetic documentaries on Canadian State TV and Radio (CBC--incidentally,the CBC is a great deal more to the left on int'l issues--kinda like the NYT) on Mumia, I bet more people up here are aware of his situation. Also, Mumia is something of as ultraleftist, a bit too radical for a lot of people to swallow. I'll bet Carol Chessman had more sympathetic coverage in the US press and he was guilty as hell.

Sam Pawlett