Zizek on Haider

David Dorkin ddorkin at aye.net
Thu Feb 10 13:04:48 PST 2000

"They were reluctant to confront Germany even when it was weak and could have been stopped, in 1935,when it had only about seven or ten divisions. They had wind that the German generals were wavering, that there was a very serious conspiracy afoot. British intelligence heard from the Abwehr, the German secret intelligence. The Abwehr tried to feed London secret information on the Nazi buildup. Chamberlain was not interested. He failed to respond to all overtures from the anti-Nazi Germans, even high-placed ones who commanded divisions of troops, even conservative ones... They actively encouraged Hitler's policy. On Czechoslovakia, Chamberlain himself threatened Czechoslovakia if the Czechs failed to accept Munich. He threatened to freeze their assets. He would deny them all materials if they decided to stand up alone against Germany, and he handed over all Czech assets in England to Adolf Hitler when Hitler took over all of Czechoslovakia."