Fwd: {FP} FAIR response to Chadwick note

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 10 14:28:36 PST 2000

[Horrible formatting reformatted by your moderator. As for the closing claim - shouted in all caps - "PACIFICA WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ITS NATIONAL NEWS SERVICE WITH JOURNALISTS WHO ADHERE TO THE HIGHEST PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE AND ETHICS": they're presently buying reports from a news service whose other clients include Fox News.]

From: Steve Rendall <SRendall at FAIR.org> To: "'LYNNCHAD at AOL.COM'" <LYNNCHAD at aol.com> Subject: {FP} FAIR response to Chadwick note Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:14:15 -0500

To: Lynn Chadwick Executive Director Pacifica

Dear Ms. Chadwick:

We find your response (below) to the strike by Pacifica freelance reporters somewhat puzzling. What is the significance of the fact that AFTRA, a union representing a different set of Pacifica workers, is not on strike? It's a bit like saying that the hotdog vendors at the ballpark can't go on strike unless they have the players' union's permission.

Don Rush's reference to a "boycott" seems to suggest that workers who do not have a recognized union can't go on strike. Wouldn't that require a significant rewriting of labor history?

Sincerely, Steve Rendall

--

Lynn Chadwick Wrote to FAIR:

am sending you a copy of the following letter and press release from the Pacifica National News bureau and AFTRA Union Shop steward. I hope these will help you understand the current situation at Pacifica.

Lynn Chadwick, Executive Director 2/4/00

--

Don Rush Wrote:

To: Jonathan Tasini

President, National Writers Union

I'm deeply concerned that the N-W-U would join - what has become - a direct assault on the work of your union brothers and sisters at the Pacifica Network News. The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists has represented the national news personnel since the 1980's. We have a contract with Pacifica management in good standing. Any suggestion that there is a strike at our unit is false.

We strongly object to the demand of the free lancers boycott that Dan Coughlin be re-instated as the news director. His labor record at the National Bureau has been troublesome at best. He continuously clashed with our union, which resulted in the first (in our memory) grievance filed by our union against a member of management at the national bureau. We finally had to bring in Lynn Chadwick, the executive director of the Foundation, to sign off on the union proposal to resolve the issue.

In addition, AFTRA has expressed deep concern over the personal attacks by Mr. Coughlin and his allies against the union members at the news bureau. These vicious and false charges have the apparent aim of destroying the reputations of our union members. And, they preclude Mr. Coughlin's return. All of the personnel at the national bureau support Mr. Coughlin's departure from the Washington offices.

There has also been a political assault on our union members by the boycott organizers that makes it clear, this action is not about labor/management relations or free speech. All of this infighting has left our news bureau in the crossfire. And, even our stations have found themselves at odds with the boycott organizers. I must say, I was surprised that your union signed on to this boycott without even talking to the actual union and it's members at the national news bureau.

I would strongly urge you to withdraw your endorsement of this boycott leveled against this unit and it's union members.

Don Rush Pacifica Network News Shop Steward AFTRA

---more---

PNN REACTION TO SO-CALLED STRINGERS STRIKE.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: MARK BEVIS, NEWS DIRECTOR, PNN. 202/588-0988 EXT 316

PACIFICA NETWORK NEWS (PNN) IS DISAPP0INTED BY THE ACTIONS OF A FEW INDIVIDUALS TO INSTIGATE A REPORTERS' BOYCOTT. THE ACTIONS ARE MISGUIDED AND WILL NOT BRING ABOUT ANY RESOLUTION OF CURRENT DISAGREEMENTS WITHIN THE PACIFICA NETWORK. WHAT'S MORE, IT IS UNCLEAR WHY THE ORGANIZERS HAVE CHOSEN TO ATTACK PNN AND ITS STRINGERS.

CONTRARY TO THE ORGANIZERS' PRESS RELEASE , THE JOURNALISTS ON THE PUBLISHED BOYCOTTERS LIST ARE NOT PNN'S "TOP REPORTERS." MANY OF THE NAMES ON THE LIST ARE UNKNOWN TO THE PNN STAFF. OTHERS FILE STORIES ONLY OCCASIONALLY. STILL OTHERS ON THE LIST HAVE TOLD PACIFICA STAFF THEY ARE NOT TAKING PART IN THE BOYCOTT AND NEVER SIGNED ON. IN OTHER WORDS, THE LIST IS IN LARGE PART MISINFORMATION.

ORGANIZERS OF THIS BOYCOTT ARE CALLING IT A "STRIKE." PNN IS NIONIZED AND THE BARGAINING UNIT IS REPRESENTED BY AFTRA. THERE IS NO STRIKE UNDERWAY AS THE BOYCOTTERS CLAIM. AND PNN HAS NOT BEEN INFORMED OF ANY LABOR ACTION BY ANY OTHER UNION REPRESENTING OTHER BARGAINING UNITS WITHIN PACIFICA. IT IS MISLEADING AND IRRESPONSIBLE FOR THE BOYCOTTERS TO PUBLICLY PROCLAIM A "STRIKE" WHEN NO SUCH ACTION EXISTS AND WHEN THE UNIONIZED STAFF HAS NOT BEEN CONSULTED.

THIS SUPPOSED BOYCOTT IS ONLY SERVING TO DRIVE MORE WEDGES BETWEEN VARIOUS MEMBERS OF THE PACIFICA STAFF. AS FOR THE NETWORK'S FREELANCE REPORTERS, MANY HAVE CLAIMED ORGANIZERS HAVE HARRASSED THEM, PRESSURING THEM TO TAKE PART IN AN EFFORT THAT ATTEMPTS TO PUNISH INNOCENT BYSTANDERS. IN ADDITION, FREELANCERS HAVE BEEN ASKED TO SACRIFICE THEIR INCOME WHILE MANY OF THE ORGANIZERS HAVE FULL TIME JOBS, SOME WITHIN PACIFICA ITSELF.

PACIFICA NETWORK NEWS DOES NOT CENSOR REPORTERS WORK. ANY CHARGES OF CENSORSHIP WITHIN PACIFICA ARE MISLEADING AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NETWORK NEWS. EVERY NEWS ORGANIZATION DECIDES WHAT TO PUBLISH OR BROADCAST;

THAT IS CALLED NEWS JUDGEMENT AND SHOULD NOT BE SWAYED BY ANY ORGANIZATION OR GROUP OF "BOYCOTTERS" INSISTING ON WHAT SHOULD BE COVERED.

THOSE REPORTERS TAKING PART ARE ATTEMPTING TO DENY PACIFICA'S AUDIENCE THE BENEFIT OF THE NETWORK'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE ON THE WORLD'S EVENTS. THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS NETWORK. WE ARE HERE TO INFORM. AND WITH OR WITHOUT THOSE REPORTERS, WE WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE OUR LISTENERS WITH INFORMATION AND ANALYSIS.

PACIFICA STATIONS AND AFFILIATES SHOULD NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE EFFECT OF ANY BOYCOTT. PNN WILL CONTINUE TO BROADCAST AWARD WINING NEWS REPORTS TO PACIFICA'S FIVE STATIONS AND THE MORE THAN 60 AFFILIATES.

PNN' S NIGHTLY NEWSCAST IS STRONGER THAN EVER WITH REPORTS COMING IN FROM AROUND THE WORLD AND FROM NEXT DOOR.

PACIFICA NETWORK NEWS IS MOVING FORWARD AND WE WOULD LIKE ALL OUR REPORTERS TO JOIN US. PACIFICA WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ITS NATIONAL NEWS SERVICE WITH JOURNALISTS WHO ADHERE TO THE HIGHEST PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE AND ETHICS.