French don broke Ben Barka's neck, says agent

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Fri Feb 11 05:28:27 PST 2000

French don broke Ben Barka's neck, says agent By Brian Love PARIS: A former counter-espionage agent has broken decades of silence to describe the Paris kidnapping and ``accidental'' killing of Moroccan dissident Mehdi Ben Barka in the the 1960s. Antoine lopez, a 76-year-old French ex-secret service agent sentenced to eight years in jail in 1967 for his own role in the affair, denied a recent report that the Leftist's body was buried under a mosque very near Paris. The fate of Ben Barka, maths tutor to the late King Hassan II before his rise as a revolutionary and flight into exile in the early years of Moroccan independence, has remained a mystery ever since, shrouded in state secrecy. In an interview with Le Parisien newspaper, Lopez spoke of the involvement of the Moroccan interior minister of the time, General Mohammed Oufkir, and a kidnapping which took a fatal turn when a French underworld figure broke Ben Barka's neck. Lopez recounts how he and several others lured Ben Barka into a car outside the brasserie Lipp Cafe on the fashionable Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris on October 29, 1965. According to the Lopez version of events, Ben Barka died at the hands of French gangster Georges Boucheseiche while holed up at a house south of Paris, pending the arrival of an envoy sent by Hassan II. Oufkir and Moroccan police chief Ahmed Dlimi arrived a day after the kidnapping at the house where Ben Barka was being held by several French underworld figures, including Boucheseiche, Lopez said. ``Ben Barka was supposed to meet an emmisary of the King of morocco, Hassan II, and discuss the terms of his return (to Morocco),'' Lopez said. ``That's as much as I knew.'' Lopez, who is preparing to publish a book 25 years after an event which rocked the French political establishment during the rule of President General De Gaulle, said he had left with his family for the weekend, leaving Ben Barka with his accomplices. On hearing a radio bulletin reporting the kidnap, Lopez said he rushed back to Paris. ``At 5 a m on Sunday morning, Oufkir woke me up. He seemed extremely bothered. He told me Ben Barka was dead, that it was an accident, that this was a `veritable catastrophe','' he says. ``I couldn't possibly imagine the consequences, he (Oufkir) told me ... I asked Oufkir `What do we do now General?'. His reply was, `Stay quiet. If you have to, tell the King (Hassan II) it was an accident','' Lopez recounted. He then told of a trip with Oufkir and others in a car and several stops at sites near Paris, and that one of the sites, under a viaduct near Courcouronnes, south of Paris, was where he assumed Ben Barka's body had been dumped. ``Boucheseiche joined us at Orly (airport area) that Sunday morning, where he had to catch a flight to Morocco as soon as possible,'' Lopez said. ``He (Boucheseiche) told me how Ben Barka had flown into a rage when he set eyes on Oufkir,'' Lopez said, going on to spell out the way in which Ben Barka had died. ``He (Boucheseiche) delivered a first blow to Ben Barka, who was not even knocked out. Boucheseiche than jammed him by the throat and snapped his neck,'' he said. Lopez said he was now telling the story because he wanted to come clean after so many years sworn to silence, years in which many of the others involved had died or disappeared. Oufkir, the second most powerful man in Morocco at the time, died in the early 1970s after a failed coup attempt against King Hassan II. His death was declared to have been suicide. Police chief Dlimi, who was tried but not convicted in the wake of Ben Barka's demise, died in a car accident and the fate of several others, including Boucheseiche, is unknown. Following Hassan II's death last year, Ben Barka's family has been allowed to return to Morocco and investigations into Mehdi Ben Barka's death have been revived. France decided in January to lift the lid of state secrecy on some of the documents relating to the mystery at the request of a Paris investigating magistrate who has also asked Rabat to renew cooperation in his inquiries into Ben Barka's death. (Reuters) For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|
For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.