Fwd: Help Woman Scheduled to Die in TX Feb 24

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 07:56:53 PST 2000

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:55:04 -0500 From: Katha Pollitt <kpollitt at thenation.com>

Dear Friends -- Can you help? Please write a letter, and forward this e mail. Katha Pollitt

Dear Friends:

I am forwarding this letter from Sara Buel and press release in hopes that you will take action to save the life of Betty Lou Beets. Please copy your letters to her attorney.

Thank you for your help.

Marya Hart

PLEASE HELP!!! As the attached press release details, the State of Texas plans to execute 62-year old battered woman, Betty Lou Beets, on February 24th unless we take immediate action. Ms. Beets has admitted to killing her very violent husband and is not seeking to be released, rather to have her death sentence reduced to life in prison.

Please write Governor George Bush, State House, Austin, TX 78701 and/or the Parole Board, Box 13401, Capitol Station, Austin, TX 78711, to request that they grant this reprieve. I know you are all so busy, but implore you to take a few minutes to help save Betty Lou Beets' life. Any one of us could so easily be in her shoes and would certainly hope that others would be stirred to plead on our behalf, especially given uncontroverted evidence of her corrupt, unethical lawyer (he has been convicted on bribery charges, disbarred and is in prison) and the lack of assistance during a lifetime of domestic and sexual abuse. THANK YOU so much for any help you can give us!

Please pass this press release on to your local media and help us save Betty Lou Beets' life! take good care and God Bless!

Sarah Buel, U of Tx School of Law Domestic Violence Clinic

For Immediate Release

February 7, 2000

BUSH TO DECIDE FATE

OF DEATH ROW