injury

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 12:30:34 PST 2000

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:08:16 -0800 (PST) Sender: cgrimes at tsoft.com From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at tsoft.com>

Tom Lehman wrote:

> One of my friends got seriously burnt early Monday morning when the
> brakes on the remote control engine he was operating locked up while he
> was in the process of moving a hot metal car sometimes called a torpedo
> or a sub ladle.
--------

Sorry I missed this post. I am nursing a small welding burn from last week--about the size of a quarter. Just enough of a taste to remember.

But to the point, the union should make sure Tom's buddy gets rehab, a lot of it, because he is going to need it. Medical treatment tends to cheeze out on rehabilitation because it is long and expensive and can be argued as not medically necessary. Just make sure he gets what he needs. Graphs don't heal very well and they need to be worked and stretched until you get full range of motion back and that takes months. Also because he is a man, the medical establishment tends to over look cosmetic repair, so make sure he gets that too. It's called cosmetic, but it really isn't for the looks so much as the social functioning of the person. Severe burn victims often have similar problems to the physically disabled because of their scars, and in effect are turned into disabled people through their impaired social relations.

Best of luck.

Chuck Grimes