Greenspan Urges Congress to Exempt OTC Derivatives From U.S. Regu lation

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Fri Feb 11 12:55:32 PST 2000

Wall Street Journal - February 11, 2000 <<...>> Greenspan Urges Congress to Exempt OTC Derivatives From U.S. Regulation By JOSEPH REBELLO and DAWN KOPECKI Dow Jones Newswires WASHINGTON -- Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan urged Congress to act quickly to exempt the $80 trillion over-the-counter derivatives market from government regulation, saying legal uncertainty is posing "unacceptable risks to the country's financial system." Testifying before the Senate Agricultural Committee, Mr. Greenspan endorsed recommendations of a White House panel on OTC derivatives. He was joined by other members of the president's working group on financial markets, including Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers and Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman William J. Rainer. "I see a real risk that, if we fail to rationalize our regulation of centralized trading mechanisms for financial instruments, these markets and the related profits and employment opportunities will be lost to foreign jurisdictions that maintain the confidence of global investors without imposing so many regulatory constraints," Mr. Greenspan said. Mr. Summers told lawmakers that the legal uncertainty over the instruments, which are used primarily by institutional investors, can't be cleared up without legislation. The OTC derivatives market, he said, offers important benefits to the U.S. economy by allowing investors to hedge their risks efficiently and pass on the benefit of lower costs to consumers and businesses.

The working group recommended in November that Congress forbid the regulation of most of the OTC derivatives market and specifically bar the CFTC from regulating the instruments. It did, however, leave open the possibility that "limited" regulation may become necessary in the future. The legal status of OTC derivatives was cast into doubt in 1998 when the CFTC suggested it had the right to regulate trading in those instruments under the Commodity Futures Trading Commission Act of 1974. "Over-the-counter derivatives have come to play an exceptionally important role in our financial system and our economy," Mr. Greenspan said. "These instruments allow users to unbundle risks and allocate them to the investors most willing and able to assume them." Under the circumstances, he said, it is essential that Congress remove the legal cloud hanging over the instruments. "The legal uncertainties create risks to counterparties in OTC contracts, and indeed, to our financial system, that are simply unacceptable," Mr. Greenspan said. "They have also impeded initiatives to centralize the trading and clearing of OTC contracts, developments that have the potential to increase efficiency and reduce risks in OTC transactions."