The Price of Globalization

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Fri Feb 11 14:15:54 PST 2000

Doug--I don't know and I doubt if the BLS tracks industries that are under stress from globalization. The JIC industrial classification codes are pretty convoluted as you may know. Galbraith the Younger pointed this out a couple of years ago.

To really get a true picture you might have to look at state workers comp stats too.

The last off the cuff stat on Steelworkers is that we have a one in ten chance of being injured on the job this year.

The latest news blurb on industrial fatalities that I have seen said, that there were 60 fewer industrial fatalities in 1999 than in 1998 in the Great Lakes Region( something like 760 in 1999 as opposed to 820 in 1998). My personal non-scientific take on industrial fatalities is that they occur in clusters. This probably is a result of multiple deaths from a single industrial accident.

Tom Lehman