Strange Behavior?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:24:43 PST 2000

Doug:

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>What strange behavior? I don't know of any human
>>activity which can be called strange.
>
>Of course not. Humans always behave in the most rational,
>self-interested, and nondestructive fashion. Can't imagine what
>Slavoj had in mind. Nor can I imagine what Wallace Stevens meant when
>he wrote that line about finding himself "more truly and more
>strange."

The main semantic opposite of "strange" is "familiar," not "rational, self-interested, and nondestructive." The idea of life determined by "self-interested rational choice," had it been presented to pre-Columbian indigenous peoples for instance, must have been very "strange" to them, in that there was no material condition that would give rise to such a regulative idea.

Justin wrote:
>I dunno, Carrol. You've been down there in B'ton too long. Come on up to
>Chi-town, and I'll show you some strange behavior.
>
>"People are strange, when you're a stranger . . . "
>--Jim Morrison

Under capitalism, we make strangers of one another, even though we have become thoroughly interdependent. "C. 1600 Shaks. Sonn. lxxxix. 8, I will acquaintance strangle and looke strange."

don't be a stranger,

Yoshie