Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 11 18:17:43 PST 2000

Hi Peter:

>>Zizek is the Third Way for those who can't swallow the Third Way without a
>>sugarcoating of philosophical chitchats and pop cult tidbits. Because it
>>_is_ hard for young leftists to swallow Blair, Clinton, etc. as they are --
>>that would be too uncool.
>
>Or perhaps too Spartan.
>This sounds odd eminating from a Marxist-free left-wing waste land. Are you
>just referring to your experience with young leftists who paricipate in
>e-mail lists? Or just speculatin'?

Some LBO-talkers, certainly, but also locally. What Justin said a while ago is true; I too have seen promising young intellectuals stuck with a philosophy that doesn't serve them well. Nietzsche, Heidegger, Lacan, etc. are fine philosophers if what they want to do is (a) to make reactionary modernism fashionable again or (b) to make liberalism sexy by flirting with illiberal philosophy. But what they say they want to do is to be "radical" in the left-wing sense. In that case, the philosophy of their choice is simply a dead end.

Yoshie