Welcome to the New Protectionism

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sat Feb 12 05:52:58 PST 2000

Ian--I wouldn't make too much out of this ruling. Both the wire/rod and line pipe(electric resistance weld) businesses have been on the ropes for years. I don't know if anyone in big steel is even operating an erw mill anymore? Most erw mills that I know of having existed have been scrapped or sold to overseas steelmakers.

The wire/rod ruling is welcome. Although only a small part of the total steel market, this product line is highly efficent and modern and has been seriously injured by imports. Some of my friends have visited Georgetown steel in South Carolina which is a major player in this business. The Steelworkers at Georgetown are featured in the new issue of Steelabor & their efforts to save Steelworker jobs are appreciated.

Tom Lehman