Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 12 09:13:21 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Because for all its faults, the Catholic Church in the US has been an active
> extremely loud opponent of anti-immigrant, anti-welfare and anti-affirmative
> action legislation and initiatives.

No. Many individual priests, nuns, and lay persons of the Catholic faith have been at the front in the struggle. "The Church," insofar as it can be so spoken of, has been almost uniformly on the side of imperialism and oppression. The late Father Kelly, formerly priest at the ISU Newman Center, was a focus of a good deal of progressive struggle in Bloomington/Normal, but was endlessly hassled by "The Church" and in the last years of his life exiled to a tiny rural parish in western Illinois, surrounded by reactionaries of all faiths. The priests who replaced him have been both incompetent and politically vicious.

My main political allies in Bloomington/Normal are all Catholics. But they don't particularly disagree with me in my judgment of "The Church."

Carrol