Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 12 10:53:52 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>There is a lot to criticize about the Catholic Church, but to compare them
>to the far right hate groups strikes me as the kind of hateful
>anti-Catholicism that varies little in character to the antisemetism,
>homophobia and racism of those far right groups.

Hey, I grew up Catholic, and let me say you're letting the Church off too easy. Yes there are Catholics who do fine things. Nice art and even some appealing rituals, too. But the hierarchy of the Church and many of its official doctrines are deeply reactionary. It fills people's heads with the most disastrous sexual morality, and perpetuated superstition of the most embarrassing sort. The Pope has done his best to shut down the liberation theoogists. It has given aid and comfort to property owners everywhere. Let's not allow cries of anti-Papist bigotry to foreclose criticism of an institution that deserves lots of it.

Doug