Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 12 11:15:40 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>The context includes a
>social backgrouynd that tells us (without argument) that Marxism is all
>wrong, out-of-date, refuted, failed, look at Russia.

Young people today have no real memory of the USSR - and Russia today is such a wreck, thanks in no small part to the U.S. government, Wall Street, and the IMF, that it serves as an object lesson in how ugly capitalism can be.

>That has to do with the baggage, as well. Nozick says that he felt guilty
>about going over the right because right wingers seemed like mean spirited
>so-and-sos while all the nice, interesting peoplew were on the left, but he
>was persuaded taht the right wingers were right. That was in 1974. Well,
>today the left is sadly shrunk, and I fear we are not the nicest bunch of
>people around. You have to ask yourselves, would people want to be like us?
>Would they want to associate with us? What do we have (except a bit of the
>truth) that would appeal to someone young? ANd being right, I mean correct,
>has never been enough. I think a cold hard look at our culture is called for.

Yup. Couldn't agree with that more. More details, if you don't mind, and anyone else who wants to join in.

Doug